In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dunston like this:
LOWSIDE, or LOWHAND, a township in Whickham parish, Durham; on the Northeastern railway, 3 miles WSW of Gateshead. It contains the village of Dunston, and the hamlets of High Team and Low Team. Real property, £5,101. Pop., 1,563. Houses, 262. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries, chemical works, saw-mills, and roperies, and in brick-making, wire-drawing, and the preparation of hemp. There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and New Connexion Methodists, a national school, and a lunatic asylum. The national school is used as a chapel of ease. The lunatic asylum is called Dunston Lodge; and, at the census of 1861, had 200 inmates.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dunston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gateshead. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dunston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunston, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dunston".