In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denbury like this:
DENBURY, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands near the South Devon railway, 3 miles SW of Newton-Abbot; has a post office under Newton-Abbot, and a fair on 20 Sept.; and was once a borough and a market-town. The parish comprises 1, 068 acres. Real property, £1, 980. Pop., 410. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the family of Taylor; and Denbury House, a Tudor mansion, is the seat of the Fronds. Denbury Down is crowned by an ancient elliptical camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £173. Patron, the Rev. J. H. Reibey. The church is very ancient, with low square tower; was recently renovated; and contains several tablets to the Taylors. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £24.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Denbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teignbridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Denbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denbury, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Denbury".