In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Clifton like this:
Clifton, watering-place and par. with ry. sta., forming W. suburb and part of the parl. and mun. bor. of Bristol, W. Gloucestershire, pop. 22,915,4 Banks; is situated on the sides and summit of lofty cliffs overhanging the Avon, and rising in St Vincent Rocks to the height of 308 ft. The river, which is here navigable, is crossed by a magnificent suspension bridge, designed by Brunel; it has a span of 702 ft., and the roadway is 245 ft. above high-water. The once celebrated hot springs, to which, in the beginning of the 18th century, the place owed its rise, are no longer frequented. C. College, a proprietary grammar-school, giving education to 550 boys, has a high reputation. On C. Down are remains of ancient earthworks.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clifton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bristol. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clifton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clifton".