In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broadwater like this:
BROADWATER, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in worthing district, Sussex. The village stands near the South Coast railway, 1 mile N of Worthing; and has a post office under Worthing. It was formerly a market-town, under the Camois family, who had a castle adjacent to it; and it still has fairs on 22 June and 29 Oct. The parish includes also the township and town of Worthing. Acres, 2,560; of which 320 are water. Real property, £34,453. Pop., 6,466. Houses, 1,188. The property is much subdivided. ...
Offington, anciently the seat of the Lords Delawarr, now that of J. F. Danbury, Esq., is about ½ a mile W of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. E. K. Elliott. The church is cruciform, and was restored in 1854. The vicarage of Christchurch and the p. curacies of Worthing and St. George are separate benefices. Charities, £25.-The subdistrict contains five parishes. Pop., 8,387.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broadwater has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Worthing. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broadwater and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broadwater, in Worthing and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broadwater".