In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brixton like this:
BRIXTON, a metropolitan suburb, five chapelries, a subdistrict, and a hundred, in Surrey. The suburb is in Lambeth parish, 2 miles SSW of St. Paul's, London; extends about 2 miles southward from the vicinity of Kennington: is partly well edificed in contiguity with other suburbs; has a r. station with telegraph on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, and a station on the line from Ludgate-Hill; has also post offices of B.,‡ B.-Rise,‡ B.-Hill, B.-Road, North B., and Tulse-Hill, under London S.; and contains Drouet's establishment for pauper children, Bailey's asylum for aged females, and the county house of correction. ...
The chapelries are B.St. Matthew, constituted in 1824, and subsequently curtailed; B.-St. John, constituted in 1853; B.-Christchurch, in 1856; Tulse-Hill, in 1856; and B.-St. Jude, in 1868. Pop. of B.-St. M., 10,305; of B. St. John, 4,967; of B.-C., 3,776. The livings of St. M., St. John, andare vicarages, and that of St. Jude a p. curacy, in the diocese of London. Value of St. M., £766;* of St. John, £250;* of C., £700;* of St. Jude, not reported. Patron of St. M., the Archbishop; of St. John, W. H. Stone, Esq.; of C., the Rev. J. M 'C. Hussey; of St. Jude, Trustees. Tulse-Hill is separately noticed. St. Matthew's church is a Doric structure, with portico, tower, and spire; and cost £15,192. St. Jude's church is a cruciform edifice, in mixed pointed styles, peculiar and showy; has two porticos and a tower, and was built in 1868. There are chapels for Independents, Lady Huutingdon's Connexion, and Methodists. The subdistrict is in Lambeth district, and conterminate with the chapelry of Brixton-St. Matthew as it was originally constituted. Acres, 1,445. Pop., 20,067. Houses, 3,223. The hundred is cut into two divisions, Eastern and Western. The E. division comprises Lambeth parish, seven other parishes, and part of two others. Acres, 22,186. Pop. in 1851, 314,815. The W. division comprises Wandsworth parish, six other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 7,699. Pop. in 1851, 9,552. Pop. of the entire hundred in 1861, 409,504. Houses, 62,763.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brixton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lambeth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brixton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brixton, in Lambeth and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brixton".