Place:


Belgrave  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belgrave like this:

BELGRAVE, a township and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester. The township lies on the river Soar, the Fossé way, and the Midland railway, 1½ mile NNE of Leicester; and has a post office under Leicester. It gives the title of Viscount to the Marquis of Westminster. Real property, £9,333. ...


Pop., 1,510. Houses, 341. The parish includes also the township of South Thurmaston and the chapelry of Birstall. Acres, 3,450. Real property, with North Thurmaston, £18,943. Pop., 2,808. Houses, 625. Belgrave House and a half-share of the manor belong to Isaac Harrison, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Birstall, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £146.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is later English, but has a Norman door; and contains monuments and a curious font. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, town-lands worth £90 a year, and other charities £36.

Belgrave through time

Belgrave is now part of Leicester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leicester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Belgrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belgrave, in Leicester and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20183

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Belgrave ".