In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Balham like this:
BALHAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Streatham parish, Surrey. The hamlet adjoins the West London and Crystal Palace railway, 4 miles WNW of the Crystal Palace; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Clapham, London S. A bill was introduced in 1861 for a railway to connect the West London and Crystal Palace railway at or near Balham with the Windsor line of the Southwestern at Putney. The chapelry bears the name of Balham-Hill. Pop., 1,786. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rector of Streatham.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Balham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wandsworth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Balham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balham, in Wandsworth and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Balham".