In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shackleford like this:
SHACKLEFORD, a chapelry in Godalming parish, Surrey; 2¾ miles W N W of Godalming r. station. It was constituted in 1866; and it has a post-office under Godalming. Pop., about 650. Many Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £330. Patron, the Bishop of W. The church was built in 1866; and is in the early English style, and cruciform, with central tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shackleford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Guildford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shackleford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shackleford, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shackleford".