In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dudley like this:
Dudley.-- parl. and mun. bor. and par., in a detached section of E. Worcestershire, on Dudley Canal, 8 miles NW. of Birmingham and 122 miles NW. of London -- parl. bor. (extending into Staffordshire), 7712 ac., pop. 87,527; mun. bor. and par. (including Dudley Castle Hill), 3930 ac., pop. 46,252; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. Dudley is situated in the centre of the "Black Country, " at a junction of the Great Western Ry., and has extensive coal mines, iron mines and ironworks, and limestone quarries; it has also glass-works, brass-foundries, and brickworks; tanning, malting, and brewing. ...
The nail mfr. alone. gives employment to several thousands. The old castle (said to have been founded in the 8th century by a Saxon prince, Dodo or Dud, who gave his name to the town) was destroyed by fire in 1750, but the keep still remains. The bor. returns 1 member to Parl.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dudley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dudley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dudley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dudley in Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dudley".