In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gwytherin like this:
GWYTHERIN, a village and a parish in Llanrwst district, Denbigh. The village stands on the river Elwy, under the Hiraethrog hills, 5½ miles E by S of Llanrwst town and r. station; was the place of St. Winifred's retreat and death; and has a fair on 6 May. The parish comprises 6,117 acres; and its post town is Llanrwst, Denbighshire. Real property, £1, 311. Pop., 438. Houses, 91. Much of the surface is moor and mountain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £132.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was originally built in connexion with the retreatplace or nunnery of St. Winifred; and it contains two rude wooden chests, enclosing a portion of St. Winifred's coffin. Four upright stones in the churchyard, one of them with a slight inscription, mark the alleged site of St. Winifred's grave.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gwytherin has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gwytherin and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gwytherin, in Conwy and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gwytherin".