In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Downton like this:
DOWNTON, a parish in the district of Ludlow and county of Hereford; on the river Teme, near the boundary with Salop, 5 miles SW of Bromfield r. station, and 5½ W by S of Ludlow. Post town, Leintwardine, Herefordshire. Acres, 1, 201. Real property, with Aston and Burrington, £3, 750. ...
Pop., 184. Houses, 25. Downton Castle here is a spacious modern edifice, in mixed Grecian and Gothic styles, built by R. P. Knight, Esq., to exemplify his "Analytical Enquiry;" and stands amid romantic scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £154. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1862, and is in the early English style, somewhat richly decorated.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Downton in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Downton ".