In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described How Caple like this:
HOW-CAPLE, a village and a parish in Ross district, Hereford. The village stands near the river Wye, 2¾ miles ENE of Fawley r. station, and 4½ NNE of Ross; and has a post office under Ross. The parish comprises 1, 018 acres. Real property, £1, 918. Pop., 161. Houses, 29. The manor belongs to Mrs. Coleman and Mrs. Holt. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Sollers-Hope, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £344.* Patron, Mrs. S. Stackhouse. The church has a pinnacled tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing How Caple has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering How Caple and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of How Caple in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "How Caple".