In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ford like this:
FORD, a township and a chapelry in Bishop-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The township lies on the river Wear, at Hylton ferry, and at Hylton r. station, 3 miles W of Sunderland. Acres, 1, 000. Pop., 2, 036. Houses, 358. Ford House is the seat of the Fenwicks. Ship-building, pottery-work, and the manufacture of copperas are carried on. The chapelry is conterminate with the township; was constituted in 1854; and is sometimes called South Hylton. Post town, Hylton, under Sunderland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Valne, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sunderland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ford, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ford".