In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangarren like this:
LLANGARREN, a village and a parish in Ross district, Hereford. The village stands on the rivulet Garren, a tributary of the Wye, 5½ miles WSW of Ross r. station; and has a post office under Ross. The parish comprises the townships of Kilreague, Llangunnock, Tredooughan, Tretilla, Treeilla, and Langstone-with-TreEvan. Acres, 5,605. Real property, £8,054. Pop., 1,215. Houses, 255. There are several manors. Llangarren Court and Langstone Court are chief residences. The living is a p. ...
curacy, united with the p. curacy of St. Weonard, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, not reported. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. 'T lie church is mainly Norman; was recently repaired and enlarged; comprises ancient nave and chancel, and n dern aisle, with ancient porch and tower; and contains several monuments. The re a re chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, a share ini Mrs. F. Scudamore's charity, and other charities £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llangarren has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llangarren and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangarren in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llangarren".