Place:


Gomersal  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gomersal like this:

GOMERSAL, two hamlets, a township, and a chapelry in Birstall parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlets are Great and Little Gomersal; they lie about 1 mile N of Birstall r. station, and 5¼ SE of Bradford; and they have a post office, of the name of Gomersal, under Leeds, a mechanics' institute, and several mills. ...


-The township includes also the hamlets of Birkenshaw, Birkenshaw Bottom, Birstall-Drub, Fieldhead, Holdenclough, Latham, Moor Lane, Popeley Gate, Smith, and Spen; and it forms a sub-district in the district of Dewsbury. Acres, 3, 119. Real property, £33, 284; of which £55 are in quarries, £5, 766 in mines, and £355 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 9, 926; in 1861, 11, 230. Houses, 2, 385. Coal-mining and woollen cloth manufactures are largely carried on; and chemicals and cotton-spinning machinery are made. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Free Methodists, and Moravians, and a national school. -The chapelry includes but a portion of the township; and was constituted in 1846. Pop., 3, 502. Houses, 744. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1851; and is in the pointed style, with a tower.

Gomersal through time

Gomersal is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gomersal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gomersal, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/190

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gomersal ".