In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tottenham like this:
TOTTENHAM, a parish, which is also a sub-district, in Edmonton district, Middlesex; averagely 5½ miles N by E of St. Pauls, London. It is bounded on the E by the river Lea; is impinged upon in the W by the Great Northern railway; is traversed along the E by the Eastern Counties railway, and across the S by the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction railway; is intersected through the middle by a continuous line of village, connecting on the S with Stoke-Newington, on the N with Edmonton; contains a large portion of Alexandra park; is divided politically into the wards of High-Cross, Lower, Middle, and Wood-Green; is cut ecclesiastically into the sections of All Saints, Holy Trinity, St. ...
Paul, Hanger-Lane, and Wood-Green; and has stations with telegraph on the railways, post-offices‡ under London N, and a metropolitan police station. Acres, 7,480. Real property in 1860, £61,111. Rated property in 1868, £98,476. Pop. in 1851, 9,120; in 1861, 13,240. Houses, 2,442. Mansions and villas are very numerous. Bruce Castle belonged originally to Robert de Bruce, father of Robert, king of Scotland; was rebuilt by Henry VIII.; was the meeting-place of that monarch with his sister Margaret; and was visited by Queen Elizabeth. A moated seat belonged to the Pembrokes, and is now the property of Col. Gillum. Sir J. Cæsar, the lawyer, was a native; and H. Broughton, to whom the Pope offered a cardinal's hat, was a resident. The livings are vicarages, in the diocese of London. Value of All Saints, £800;* of Holy Trinity, £300; of the others, not reported. Patrons of All Saints, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul; of Holy Trinity, St. Paul, and Wood-Green, the Vicar of All Saints; of Hanger-Lane, F. Newsam, Esq. All Saints' church is later English, and of rough stone. Wood-Green church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1865. Hanger-Lane church was built in 1861, at a cost of £12,000; and is in the decorated English style, with SW tower and spire. There are eleven chapels for dissenters and 1 for Roman Catholics. A new cemetery, of 5 acres, was opened in 1858; and contains two neat chapels. There are an endowed grammar-school, with £134 a year; blue-coat and green-coat schools for girls, with £66 and £28; Lancasterian schools for respectively boys and girls; two national schools; a British school; an industrial school; a Roman Catholic school; the Drapers' school for sons of freemen, a quadrangular structure in the Gothic style, erected in 1861, at a cost of nearly £20,000; the Freemasons' schools, a spacious edifice in semi-Gothic, erected in 1865, at a cost of about £24,000; Reywardson's alms houses, with £131 a year: two other suites of alms houses; and some other charities.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tottenham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Haringey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tottenham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tottenham, in Haringey and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tottenham".