In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monk Okehampton like this:
OKEHAMPTON (Monk), a village and a parish in Okehampton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Okement, 2¾ miles E N E of Hatherleigh r. station, and 6½ N of Okehampton; has a bridge over the Okement, built at great cost in 1854; and is a pleasant place. The parish contains also the hamlet of Burrow; and its post town is Hatherleigh, North Devon. Acres, 1, 488. Real property, £1, 494. Pop., 272. Houses, 48. The manor belongs to H. Mallett, Esq. A grange to Tavistock abbey was here, and gave rise to the prefix name Monk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £131.* Patron, Sir S. Northcote, Bart. The church was partly restored, partly rebuilt, about 1850; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Monk Okehampton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Monk Okehampton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monk Okehampton in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
You have reached this page because, for example, "Monkokehampton" was one of the names of this administrative unit which we associate with Monk Okehampton.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "monkokehampton".