In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lamesley like this:
LAMESLEY, a parochial chapelry in Chester-le-Street district, Durham; on Urpeth burn and the river Team, 4 miles S of Gateshead r. station. Post-town, Gateshead. Real property, £13,075; of which £6,373 are in mines, £112 in quarries, and £1,000 in railways. Pop. in 1851,1,914; in 1861,2,233. Houses, 366. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Ravensworth. There are extensive collieries, beds of ironstone, and quarries for grindstones. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £138 .* Patron, Lord Ravensworth. The church was rebuilt in 1759; has a tower of 1 821; and contains a carved pulpit. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, national schools, and charities £40.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lamesley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Gateshead. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lamesley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamesley, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lamesley".