In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Modbury like this:
Modbury, small town and par., Devon, 3½ miles SE. of Ivybridge and 12 miles E. of Plymouth, 6258 ac., pop. 1543; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. This town has an ancient history. Modbury Court (now in ruins), long the seat of the Champernownes, was fortified as early as 1334; it was garrisoned by the Parliamentarians in 1642. Modbury has an agricultural trade, also tanning, &c.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Modbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Hams. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Modbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Modbury, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Modbury".