In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanley like this:
STANLEY, a township-chapelry in Spondon parish, Derbyshire; 4¾ miles NE of Derby r. station. It has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 1,470. Real property, £2,214; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 380; in 1861, 534. Houses, 109. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of coal-fields, iron-works, and brick-yards. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £64. Patron, Sir R. Wilmot, Bart. There is a Wesleyan cuapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Erewash. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanley, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanley".