In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Risley like this:
RISLEY, a chapelry in Wilne parish, Derby; 1½mile W by S of Sandiacre r. station, and 4¼ S of Ilkeston. It has a post-office under Nottingham. Real property, £2, 522. Pop., 203. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Mortimers; passed to the Sheffields and the Willoughbys; and belongs now to J. L. Ffytche, Esq. R. Hall is the residence of Mrs. Skipworth. A silver vessel, 20 inchesby 15, said to have belonged to a church in France in 405, was found near the Hall in 1729. The living is ap. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Breaston, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is ancient but good. There is an endowed grammar school for the children ofseven neighbouring parishes.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Risley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Erewash. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Risley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Risley, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Risley".