In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leintwardine like this:
LEINTWARDINE, a village, a township, and a subdistrict in Ludlow district, and a parish partly also in Knighton district, but all in Herefordshire. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Teme and Clun, 1 mile from the boundary with Salop, 3 E of Bucknell r. station, and 9 W of Ludlow; is a favourite resort of anglers; and has a head post office, ‡ designated Leintwardine, Herefordshire, and fairs on the Monday before Easter and 26 September.-The township includes the village, and extends beyond it. ...
Real property, with the townships of Kington, Marlow, and Whitton and Trippleton, £7,553; of which £90 are in fisheries. Pop. of L. township alone, 615. Houses, 120.The parish contains all the townships now named, and also the townships of Brakes, and Heath and Jay in Ludlow district, and the townships of Walford, Letton, and Newton, anf Adforton, Stanway, Paytoe, and Grange in Knighton district. Acres, 8,576. Real property, £11,380. Pop. in 1851,1,607; in 1861,1,812. Houses, 345. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Mortimers; passed to the Harleys; and belongs now to Lady Langdale and A. R. Boughton, Knight. Heath House is a chief residence. The N section consists largely of the ancient forest of Mocktree, which was long ago disafforested. A Roman camp, called Brandon camp, with a single ditch and rampart, is about a mile from the village. Freestone and limestone are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £400. * Patron, Lady Langdale. The church is ancient and large; was given, by Hugh de Mortimer, to Wigmore abbey; and underwent restoration in 1865, at a cost of about £2,200, exclusive of the tower, which was afterwards to be repaired. Some oak carving of the 15th century, and a number of encaustic tiles bearing the arms of the Mortimers, were discovered in the church during its restoration. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £60 a year, and charities £9.The sub-district contains the Ludlow townships of the parish and six entire parishes. Acres, 19,178. Pop., 2,556. Houses, 475.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Leintwardine has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Leintwardine and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leintwardine in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Leintwardine".