In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brixton like this:
BRIXTON, a village and a parish in Plympton-St.-Mary district, Devon. The village stands near the river Yealm, 3 miles SSW of Plympton r. station, and 4½ ESE of Plymouth; and it has a post office under Plympton, and is a seat of petty sessions. Acres, 2,914 of land, and 85 of water. Real property, £5,402. Pop., 691. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The manor was long held by a family of its own name; and belongs now to T. W. Parrott, Esq. Remains of a mansion of the time of Henry VII. are at Harestone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £107. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is decorated English, with a lofty tower, and in good condition. Charities, £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brixton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Hams. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brixton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brixton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brixton".