Place:


Bentworth  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bentworth like this:

BENTWORTH, a village and a parish in Alton district, Hants. The village stands 3½ miles WNW of Alton r. station, and has a post office under Alton. The parish comprises 3,688 acres. Real property, £4,091. Pop., 647. Houses, 123. The property is subdivided. The manor was inherited from his father by George Withers, the poet; and was sold by him, at the outbreak of the civil war, to raise a troop of horse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £760.* Patron, the Rev. Mr. Mathews. There is a dissenting Chapel

Bentworth through time

Bentworth is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bentworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bentworth in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1740

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bentworth ".