In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fortrose like this:
Fortrose, parl. and royal burgh, small town, and quoad sacra par., Rosemarkie par., Ross-shire, on W. side of the Inner Moray Firth, nearly opposite to Fort George (to which there is a ferry), and 10½ miles NE. of Inverness -- par., pop. 492; town, pop. 874; parl. burgh, pop. 869; royal burgh, pop. 986; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Friday. Fortrose consists of Fortrose proper (formerly called Chanonry, from being the chanonry of Ross, where the bishop had his residence) and Rosemarkie, about 1 mile NE. ...
Of the cathedral (beginning of 14th century), the greater part of which was removed by Cromwell to provide materials for the erection of his fort at Inverness, there are now very few remains. Fortrose is a summer resort, its attractions being its romantic scenery, its fine links, and its facilities for sea-bathing. It has daily communication by steamer with Inverness. A new wooden pier, at which steamers can touch at all states of the tide, was erected in 1881. The harbour is safe and convenient; but there is no regular trade. Fortrose unites with Inverness, Nairn, and Forres in returning 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fortrose has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Highland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fortrose and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fortrose, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fortrose".