In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shepway like this:
SHEPWAY, a lathe in the SE of Kent; containing the hundreds and liberties of Aloesbridge, Ashford, Bircholt, Calehill, Chart and Longbridge, Felborough, Folkestone, Ham, Heane, Longport, Loningborough, Lydd, Newchurch, New Romney, Oxney, Stouting, Street, Worth, and Wye. Acres, 205,004. Pop. in 1851, 43,323; in 1861, 51,826. Houses, 9,018. Shepway Cross gives name to the lathe; is situated ½ a mile E of Lympney church; and was the meeting-place of the earliest general courts of the Cinque ports.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shepway has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shepway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shepway and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shepway in Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shepway".