Place:


Martin  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martin like this:

MARTIN, a parish in the district of Fordingbridge and county of Wilts; adjacent to Hants and to Dorset, 4 miles NNE of Cranborne, and 6½ W of Braemore r. station. It contains the tythings of East Martin, West Martin, and Tidpit; and has a post office under Sa1isbury. Acres, with Toyd-Farm and Allenford extra-parochial tract, 4,501. ...


Real property, with South Damerham and Whitsbury, £9,674. Rated property of M. alone, £3,148. Pop., 574. Houses, 142. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £130.* Patron, the Vicar of Damerham. The church is ancient, was recently restored, and has a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £142.

Martin through time

Martin is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martin, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1730

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Martin ".