In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described West Ham like this:
West Ham, parl. bor., par., and local government dist., Essex, on N. bank of river Thames, opposite Greenwich, and in E. of London, 4667 ac., pop. 128,953; contains Stratford town and has several industrial establishments in connection with the Victoria Docks; ship-building, silk-printing, brewing, leather-cloth mfr., &c., See STRATFORD. West Ham returns 2 members to Parliament (2 divisions - viz., North and South, 1 member for each division); it was made a parl. bor. in 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Ham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Ham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Ham, in Newham and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Ham".