In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allerdale like this:
ALLERDALE, two wards in Cumberland. The one is called Allerdale-above-Derwent; the other Allerdale-below-Derwent. The former contains Cockermouth and Ravenglass, and is bounded mainly by Bassenthwaite water, Derwent water, Lancashire, and the Irish sea; while the latter contains Maryport and Allerby, and extends conterminously with the former from the Irish sea to the E. Acres in A.-above D., 207,579. Pop. in 1851, 48,168; in 1861, 65,046. Houses, 12,988. Acres in A.-below-D., 155,080. Pop. in 1851, 21,730; in 1861, 34,841. Houses, 7,208.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Allerdale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Allerdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Allerdale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allerdale in Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Allerdale".