In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Teesdale like this:
TEESDALE, a district, all registrationally in Durham, but in part politically in N. R. Yorkshire; comprehending the sub-districts of Staindrop, Barnard-Castle, and Middleton. Acres, 174,162. Poor rates in 1863, £7,902. Pop. in 1851, 19,813; in 1861, 20,880. Houses, 4,007. Marriages in 1863, 147; births, 685,-of which 69 were illegitimate; deaths, 382,-of which 123 were at ages under 5 years, and 13 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,687; births, 6,729; deaths, 3,923. ...
The places of worship, in 1851, were 17 of the Church of England, with 3,185 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 1,065 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 540 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 330 s.; 16 of Wesleyans, with 2,619 s.; 12 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,958 s.; 3 of Roman Catholics, with 534 s.; and 1 of Unitarians, with 55 attendants. The schools were 29 public day-schools, with 2,100 scholars; 35 private day-schools, with 872 s.; 32 Sunday schools, with 2,480 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 7 s. The workhouse is in Barnard-Castle.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Teesdale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teesdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Teesdale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Teesdale in County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Teesdale".