In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandwell like this:
SANDWELL PARK, a quondam seat of the Earl of Dartmouth. now a training-college for servants, in West Bromwich parish, Stafford; 4 miles N W of Birmingham.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sandwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sandwell. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sandwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandwell in Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sandwell".