In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Maldon like this:
Maldon, mun. bor., market town, and river port, Essex, at the influx of the river Chelmer to the Blackwater estuary, 17 miles SW. of Colchester and 44 miles NE. of London by rail, 3035 ac., pop. 5468; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. During the period of the Danish invasions, Maldon was a Saxon stronghold, and was twice attacked by the foe, in 921 and 993. Henry II. granted it a charter of incorporation. Its mfrs. are crystallised salt, silk fabrics, cordage, and sails; it also has industries in brewing, brickmaking, and ironfounding. Oyster fisheries are a lucrative local resource, and some shipping trade is carried on. Maldon is now a sub-port of Colchester. It returned 2 members to Parliament from Edward III. until 1867, and 1 member from 1867 until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Maldon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Maldon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Maldon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maldon in Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Maldon".