Place:


Lundie  Angus

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lundie like this:

Lundie, a village and a parish of SW Forfarshire. The village stands 3 miles WSW of Auchterhouse station, 6 ESE of Coupar-Angus, and 9 NW by W of Dundee, under which it has a post office. The parish is bounded N by Newtyle, E by Auchterhouse, S by Fowlis-Easter in Perthshire, and W by Kettins. ...


Its utmost length, from W by N to E by S, is 4 miles; its utmost breadth is 3 miles; and its area is 4296 ¼ acres, of which 1075/6 are water. Of seven lakes, which send off head-streams of Dichty Water, much the largest is Long Loch (5¾ x 2 furl.; 722 feet) in the N, Lundie Loch having been reduced by drainage about the year 1810 to less than a twelfth of its former size. A range of the Sidlaw Hills extends along part of the N and all the W of the parish, whose surface, nowhere sinking much below 500 feet above sea-level, attains 1063 feet near Smithston and 1088 at Keillor Hill on the Kettins boundary. The range divides the head of Strathdighty from the neighbouring part of Strathmore, and gives to all the interior of the parish a sheltered and sequestered aspect. The predominant rocks are trap and common grey sandstone; and the soil is for the most part light, sharp loam. Since 1850 great improvements have been effected in the way of reclaiming, draining, fencing, and building. The Duncans of Lundie, now Earis of Camperdown, have held nearly all the property from 1678 and earlier; and Lundie churchyard is still their burying-place. This parish, since 1618, has formed one charge with the contiguous parish of FowlisEaster in Perthshire. It is in the presbytery of Dundee and the synod of Angus and Mearns; the living is worth £238. A building of considerable antiquity, Lundie church was well repaired about the year 1847, and contains 300 sittings. A public school, with accommodation for 108 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 57, and a grant of £43, 6s. Valuation (1857) £3005, (1884) £4311, 19s. Pop. (1831) 456, (1861) 442, (1871) 400, (1881) 317; of united parish (1801) 693, (1831) 778, (1871) 691, (1881) 628.—Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.

Lundie through time

Lundie is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lundie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lundie in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17178

Date accessed: 26th April 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lundie ".