In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Sanquhar like this:
Sanquhar, parl. and royal burgh and par., Dumfriesshire, on river Nith, 26 miles NW. of Dumfries and 56 miles SE. of Glasgow by rail - par., 40,846 ac., pop. 3109; parl. burgh, pop. 1339; royal burgh, pop. 1299; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; has mfrs. of carpets, spades and shovels, and bricks. Sanquhar was made a royal burgh in 1598, and forms one of the Dumfries District of Parliamentary Burghs, which returns 1 member.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sanquhar has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sanquhar and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sanquhar, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sanquhar".