In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Small Isles like this:
Small Isles, a Hebridean parish of Argyll and Inverness shires, detached from Sleat parish in 1726, and successively known as Eigg, Short Isles, and Small Isles. Besides a few uninhabited islets, it comprises the islands of Canna, Muck, Rum, Sanday, and Eigg, the first four belonging to Argyllshire, the fifth to Inverness-shire, and all described in separate articles. Its total area is 62 2/5 square miles or 39,945¾ acres, of which 32, 039½ belong to Argyll and 7906 ¼ to Inverness shire whilst 2008½ are foreshore and 184½ water. ...
The post-town is Oban. Small Isles parish is in the presbytery of Skye and the synod of Glenelg; the living is worth £208. Two public schools, Canna and Eigg, with respective accommodation for 25 and 60 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 17 and 24, and grants of £30, 16s. 1d. and £50, 5s. 3d. Valuation (1884) £3678, of which £2659 was for the Argyllshire islands. Pop- (1811) 1547, (1831) 1005, (1861) 567, (1871) 522, (1881) 550, of whom 482 were Gaelic-speaking, and 291 were in Eigg.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Small Isles has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Highland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Small Isles and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Small Isles, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Small Isles".