In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Keith like this:
Keith.-- town, Banffshire, and par., partly also in Elginshire - par., 18,195 ac., pop. 6396; town, on river Isla, 12½ miles NW. of Huntly, 53½ NW. of Aberdeen, and 574 NW. of London by rail, pop. 4339; P.O., T.O.; 3 Banks. Market-day, Friday. The town consists of Keith, comprising Old Keith (12th century) and New Keith (1750), on the right bank of the river, and of Fife-Keith (1817) on the left bank. The river is crossed by two bridges, of 1609 and 1770, the former now disused. ...
Keith is the centre of business for middle Banffshire, and has a 1arge trade in cattle and in dead meat. Among its industrial establishments are a tweed manufactory, a blanket manufactory, an agricultural implement manufactory, manure works, and grain and flour mills; there is also a distillery (Milton-Keith). Among the public buildings are the Longmore Hall (1873), used as a public hall, the Turner Memorial Hospital (1880), and the Roman Catholic Church (1831), an elaborately ornamented building with a fine altar-piece, the "Incredulity of St Thomas," presented by Charles X. of France.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Keith has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Moray. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Keith and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Keith in Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Keith".