In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Latheron like this:
Latheron, par. and fishing vil., S. Caithness - par., 119,539 ac., pop. 6675; vil. (called also Latheronwheel and Janetstown), at mouth of Latheronwheel Burn, 18 miles SW. of Wick and 19 miles NE. of Helmsdale; P.O.; in vicinity is Latheronwheel House, seat.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Latheron has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Highland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Latheron and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Latheron, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Latheron".