In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Stonehouse like this:
Stonehouse, town and par., Lanarkshire, on Avon Water, 7 miles SE. of Hamilton and 18 miles SE. of Glasgow by rail - par., 6241 ac., pop. 3173; town, pop. 2615; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is largely inhabited by miners and weavers.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stonehouse has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lanarkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stonehouse and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonehouse in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stonehouse".