In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Alva like this:
Alva, par. and town, in detached part of co. and 8 miles by rail NE. of Stirling, romantically situated among the Ochill Hills -- par., 5458 ac., pop. 5113; town, pop 4961:, P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; it has mfrs. of shawls and tweeds.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Alva has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Clackmannanshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Alva and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alva, in Clackmannanshire and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Alva".