In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Portree like this:
Portree, par. and seaport vil., Skye island, Inverness-shire - par. (including Raasay and Rona islands), 56,909 ac., pop. 3191; vil., on Portree Bay, 32 miles SW. of Strome Ferry, 60 miles SE. of Stornoway, and 120 miles NW. of Oban, pop. 893; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks; is situated on a commodious land-locked harbour, and is regularly visited by Glasgow steamers; is the chief centre of business for Skye and the neighbouring islands and a seat of sheriff courts, and is the headquarters of great numbers of tourists. There is a small woollen factory. Portree (Port-an-righ, the king's harbour) was so named from being visited by James V. in 1540.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Portree has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Highland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Portree and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Portree, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Portree".