In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Wigtown like this:
Wigtown, royal burgh, seaport, par., and co. town of Wigtownshire, on W. side of Wigtown Bay, 7½ miles S. of Newton-Stewart by rail - par., 7805 ac., pop. 2198; royal burgh, pop. 1789; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. There is a new harbour, and ships of 300 tons burden can reach the quay. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Wigtown gave the title of earl (1606-1747) to the family of Fleming. The Wigtown District of parliamentary burghs (Wigtown, Whithorn, New Galloway, and Stranraer) returned 1 member until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wigtown has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dumfries and Galloway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wigtown and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wigtown, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wigtown".