In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described West Calder like this:
Calder, West, par. and town with ry. sta., W. Edinburghshire, 15¾ miles SW. of Edinburgh and 30¼ miles E. of Glasgow -- par., 21,089 ac. (303 water), pop. 7681; town, pop. 2291; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; coal, ironstone, bituminous shale, and limestone are worked.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Calder has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lothian. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Calder and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Calder, in West Lothian and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Calder".