In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Guthrie like this:
Guthrie, par. and hamlet with ry. sta. (Guthrie Junction), Forfarshire, on Lunan Water, 7 miles E. of Forfar and 7¾ miles NW. of Arbroath, 3823 ac., pop. 439; P.O.; 1 mile NW. of sta. is Guthrie Castle (built 1468, repaired and enlarged 1848), seat of the Guthries.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Guthrie has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Angus. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Guthrie and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Guthrie in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Guthrie".