Place:


Clatt  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Clatt like this:

Clatt (Gael. cleithe, 'concealed'), a post-office village and a parish in the western extremity of Garioch district, Aberdeenshire. The village stands 3 miles SSW of Kennethmont station, this being 32¾ miles NW of Aherdeen; in 1501 it was erected by James IV. into a free burgh of barony, but its Tuesday market and its May and November fairs are now alike discontinued, and it consists to-day of mere vestiges of its former self, and of a few modern neighbouring erections called Hardgate of Clatt.

The parish is bounded NW by Rhynie, NE by Kennethmont, E by Leslie, S by Tullynessle, and W by Auchindoir. ...


Its greatest length from N to S is 4 miles; its breadth from E to W varies between 13/8 and 3¼ miles; and its land area is 5711 acres. The Water of Bogie flows ½ mile along the Rhynie border, and its affluent, the Burn of Kearn, traces 3½ miles of the western boundary, but the drainage is mainly carried eastward by head-streams of Gadie Burn. Of several chalybeate springs, one upon Correen is the most remarkable. The surface nowhere sinks below 550 feet above sea-level, whilst rising to 765 near Boghead, between the Burns of Gadie and Kearn, and to 1443 and 1588 feet on the Hill of Auchmedden and the Mire of Midgates, which culminate close to the southern border, and belong to the Correen Hills. Granite, whinstone, and clay-slate are the prevailing rocks; and the soils range from a rich deep loam to light sandy earth, mixed with decomposed slate and small stones. Little more than one-half of the entire area is in tillage, about 300 acres being planted, and the rest being either pasture or waste. Remains of a 'Druidical circle,' 20 yards in diameter, are in the northern division of the parish, where also upwards of twenty tumuli were discovered in 1838. In the SW corner was fought the clan battle of Tillyangus (1571), in which the Forbeses were worsted by the Gordons. Knockespock is the only mansion; and the property is divided among two proprietors holding each an annual value of more, and three of less, than £100. Clatt is in the presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £199. A pre-Reformation structure, as witnessed by a carved tabernacle and a piscina found in it, the church was almost rebuilt in 1799, and reseated in 1828, containing now 342 sittings. A public school, with accommodation for 98 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 68, and a grant of £51,10s. Valuation (1881) £4101,7s. 7d. Pop. (1801) 433, (1821) 551, (1871) 483, (1881) 452.—Ord. Sur., sh. 76,1874.

Clatt through time

Clatt is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clatt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clatt in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16718

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clatt ".