In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Inchture like this:
Inchture, a village and a parish in the Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire. The village stands 1¾ mile N by W of Inchture station on the Dundee and Perth section of the Caledonian, this being 7 ¾ miles WSW of Dundee, and 14 E by N of Perth. Occupying the crown of a rising-ground, anciently an island, it was originally called Innis-tuir (Gael. 'island of the tower'); and it overlooks a luxuriant expanse of circumjacent carse lands, and presents a pleasant appearance. At it are a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, an inn, and a large brewery.
The parish, since 1670 comprising the ancient parishes of Inchture and Rossie, is bounded NW by Abernyte, NE and E by Longforgan, SE by the Firth of Tay, SW by Errol, and W by Kinnaird. ...
Its utmost length, from NNW to SSE, is 4 ¼ miles; its breadth varies between 7 ½ furlongs and 2 7/8 miles; and its area is 5328 1/3 acres, of which 1199 ½ are foreshore and 6 water. One brook, rising and running 1 ¼ mile in the interior, traces for 2 1/3 miles the boundary with Errol, till, being joined from that parish by a larger brook than itself, it forms at Powgavie a small but not unimportant harbour on the firth; whilst Huntly Burn, coming down from the NW, traces for 3 ¼ miles the north-eastern and eastern border, and then diverges into Longforgan. The shoreline, 9 furlongs long, is low; and for 3 miles inland the surface is all but a dead-level, nowhere exceeding 34 feet, and forming part of the rich alluvial flat of the Carse of Gowrie. Then it begins to rise, till it attains 559 feet at Hilltown of Ballindean and 567 at wooded Rossie Hill - heights that command delightful views of water and hill scenery. Trap-rock prevails in the hills; red sandstone and good limestone are found in the lower grounds; and all have been quarried. Veins of copper occur, but have never been worked. The soil, on the carse lands, is rich argillaceous alluvium; on the undulatory tracts, is a fertile loam; and, on much of Rossie, is gravelly or sandy. Nearly 500 acres are under wood; and several hundred acres are land reclaimed from the firth. The chief antiquities are the ruins of Moncur Castle and of Rossie church, and a cross on the site of the quondam village of Rossie. Mansions are Rossie Priory and Ballindean House, both separately noticed; and most of the property is divided among three. Inchture is in the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns; the stipend and communion-elements are returned at £311, 16s. 9d. The church, at Inchture village, is a neat Gothic edifice of 1834, containing 550 sittings. A public school, with accommodation for 186 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 105, and a grant of £99, 3s. 6d. Valuation (1866) £7569, (1883) £8065, 5s. 7d. Pop. (1801) 949, (1831) 878, (1871) 659, (1881) 650.Ord. Sur., sh. 48, 1868.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Inchture has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Perth and Kinross. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Inchture and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inchture, in Perth and Kinross and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Inchture".