In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Yell like this:
Yell, the second largest of the Shetland Islands, in pars, of Fetlar and North Yell, and Mid and South Yell, separated from the Mainland by Yell Sound, 1¾ to 6 miles broad, 25 miles N. of Lerwick, pop. 2529; is 17 miles long from N. to S., and from £ mile to 6½ miles broad, and has a generally bleak and moorish surface, rising to a maximum alt. of 672 ft.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Yell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shetland Islands. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Yell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yell in Shetland Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Yell".