In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Arbroath like this:
Arbroath, or Aberbrothock (old name), par., parl. and royal burgh, and seaport, at mouth of river Brothock, Forfarshire, 17 miles NE. of Dundee and 475 from London by rail -- par., 943 ac., pop. 9493; parl. burgh, pop. 21,758; 5 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The industries are of considerable importance, consisting chiefly of sail-cloth and leather mfrs., also flax and jute spinning. Chief exports -- grain, potatoes, fish, and paving-stones. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The Abbey, founded by King William the Lion in 1178, is now in ruins. ...
From a signal tower, 50 ft. in height, with an excellent telescope, communication may be kept up with the Bell Rock lighthouse, which rises from the sea 12 miles to the SE. At St Vigeans Church, about 1 mile from the town, is an interesting sculptured stone bearing a legible Pre-historic inscription. The burgh unites with Brechin, Forfar, Montrose, and Inverbervie in returning 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Arbroath has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Angus. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Arbroath and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arbroath in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arbroath".