In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hume like this:
Hume, hamlet, Stitchell and Hume par., S. Berwickshire, 3 miles S. of Greenlaw; P.O. Hume was once a considerable town; Hume Castle (on Hume Craigs, 700 ft. high), was long the seat of the earls of Home, and a strong fortress; it is a conspicuous feature for many miles around, but it now consists of mere walls rebuilt from the old materials on the old foundations.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hume has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Scottish Borders. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hume and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hume, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hume".