In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Prestonpans like this:
Prestonpans, coast town (police burgh) and par. with ry. sta., Haddingtonshire, on Firth of Forth, 8 m. E. of Edinburgh - par., 1291 ac., pop. 2573; burgh, pop. 1610; town, pop. 2265; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; was long famous for the mfr. of salt, and has now extensive works for the mfr. of bricks, tiles, and other fireclay goods, a large brewery, and a soapwork. The oyster beds off the shore are less productive than formerly. In the vicinity of the town is the battlefield where Prince Charles Edward Stuart defeated the Royalists under Sir John Cope, 21st September 1745.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Prestonpans has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Lothian. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Prestonpans and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prestonpans in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Prestonpans".