In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tiree like this:
Tyree, island and par., Inner Hebrides, Argyllshire - par. (comprising Tyree and Skerryvore), 18,942 ac., pop. 2733; island, 2 miles SW. of Coll and 28 miles SW. of Tobermory, pop. 2730; P.O., called Tiree; is 14 miles long and from ¾ mile to 6 miles broad, and rises to a maximum alt. of 400 ft. The soil is generally fertile, but the rearing of black cattle is the chief employment. Cattle, poultry, and eggs are largely exported.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tiree has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Argyll and Bute. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tiree and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tiree in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tiree".